21/11/2012 09:12 | By Richard Aucock
The most and least reliable cars 1997 to 2012

Most reliable cars of the last 15 years

The most reliable cars of the last 15 years (© Mercedes-Benz)
  • The most reliable cars of the last 15 years (© Mercedes-Benz)
  • 10. Honda Jazz (2001-2008) - most reliable cars (© Honda)
  • 8= Toyota Yaris (1999-2003) - most reliable cars (© Toyota)
  • 8= Mercedes E-Class (2006-) - most reliable cars (© Mercedes-Benz)
  • 7. Mazda MX-5 (2005-) - most reliable cars (© Mazda)
  • 5= Volvo S40 (1996-2004) - most reliable cars (© Volvo)
  • 5= Honda HR-V (1998-2006) - most reliable cars (© Honda)
  • 4. Toyota Aygo (2005-) - most reliable cars (© Toyota)
Mercedes-BenzShow Thumbnails

Reliability is a priority for used car buyers. When you’re motoring on a budget, the last thing you want to be doing is forking out on repairs. Being stranded by the roadside is hardly glamorous either.

Warranty Direct  has been trying to help us avoid such horror stories since 1997. Its reliability index score takes data from 200,000 policies, balances reliability score and breakdown cost, and comes up with a huge league table.

To mark 15 years in business, it has looked at all the cars it has ever sold policies on, assessed their performance and come up with a super table: the most and least reliable cars of the past 15 years.

Here we run through the most reliable cars in reverse order, then count down the least reliable models. Read on to discover the reliability winners and losers…

22/11/2012 14:46

waranty direct are a joke,i work for a group of garages and these policies are worth ****,

i wouldn,t trust a word they say,they will try any trick in the book not to pay out on a claim,

how they can asses reliability is beyond me,there a joke !!

22/11/2012 00:04
i had warrenty direct once !!!!!!!!!!!!! never again ! i needed to claim , no chance !!!!!!!!!!!!!
22/11/2012 20:49

ALL RENAULT,s SHOULD BE SCRAPPED! PERIOD!

WORST ****E EVER MADE, AND THAT INCLUDES ANYTHING ELSE FRENCH...

21/11/2012 23:20
I was not surprised that Japanese cars dominated the most reliable car list. I was shocked to see that 7 out of the worst performing ones were GERMAN. Shows that the actual truth is way different to the perception we have, as most people rate German cars, as we seem to rate most things German.
I dont imagine for one minute that a single Bentley owner has ever even considered warrenty direct. Or for that matter any car owner with an IQ in double figures. The same people who take out their warrenties also reply to e mails from Nigerian bank managers with unused accounts.
22/11/2012 12:52
mercs and beamers are the one your most likely to see sat on the hard verge with their hazards on. I sort of chuckle in my old ford fiesta that if it goes wrong i can buy another whole car for under a grand
22/11/2012 16:48
22/11/2012 17:32
I have a  1997 landrover defender 110 pickup..............Runs like a tractor....Slow and cold in winter but gets me about in any weather conditions and you just throw all your stuff in the back from shopping to firewood...........A good runabout with repairs easy to do yourself.

However wouldn't even take a New Range Rover = RUBBISH !!    They empty your bank account faster than a bankers bonus........
22/11/2012 07:01
Talking about reliability, how reliable is this article itself?  It's unlikely enough peope have cars under warranty anyways,  to base the results above on this measure. Otherwise we'd be seeing more of the  real lifeusual suspects like HONDA/LEXUS (top of class) down to PEUGEOT/ALPHA (bottom) : especially if you are talking of the last 15 years.  MHO.

I ve just been to pick up my extreemly reliable mercedes from its MOT and asked the mechanics this same question, they also collect breakdowns for Green Flag and the AA, they unanimously said the most reliable seemed to be both the vauxhall astra and the ford focus, they said as a manufacturer hondas and toyotas were all reliable. For the worst they all agreed ANY Mitsibushi.This all seems very different from Warrenty Directs findings,  when I mentioned that company, they to a man hit the floor rolling about laughing.

My mercedes has just passed 180,000 miles and apparrently is now nicely run in, since Ive owned it ,it has never used a drop of either oil or water.

23/11/2012 00:43
If you want a good, dependable car that is cheap to maintain, you simply can't beat a Ford.  Warranty Direct is just an idiotic company trying to flag its wares.  I would avoid a company like Warranty Direct that demonstrates such poor judgement.
22/11/2012 19:10

I was stupid and bought a second a near new phaeton after 2 disaster audis  i hoped things would be better i have to say all the japanese  cars jsut so so much better  the lexus did 142,000 miles and had a light bulb go faulty

Japanese for me next time the germans just dont do customer care and they are never wrong

I DISAGREE,

MY MERC AND PREVIOUS 3 HAVE ALL BEEN VERY VERY GOOD CARS.

IF YOU DON,T SERVICE YOUR CAR AND CHANGE OILS AND OTHER PARTS AFTER ALL THEY ARE MOVING PARTS THAT WEAR OUT, IF YOU DO LOOK AFTER YOUR CAR YOU SHOULD HARDLY EVER HAVE PROBLEMS.

MOST PEOPLE JUST DON,T BOTHER AND THAT IS AFTER A FEW YEARS HAVE MANY PROBLEMS BECAUSE THEY DON,T LOOK AFTER THE CARS CORRECTLY, THEY JUST THINK OH WELL AND LEAVE IT, THEN THEY END UP WITH A HUGE REPAIR BILL.

23/11/2012 00:43

Honda Civic Vtec 12 years old with no rust and starts everytime. Previously I had Rovers and they were a nightmare.

22/11/2012 18:07
think i'll stick to my 8 year old ford focus. never let me down. can't beat an old ford.
HEY PEOPLE THE BEST WARRANTY ON THE MARKET,

EASY PEOPLE.

THE AA ------- ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS MEET YOUR SERVICE ON TIME AND GET IT STAMPED AS YOU SHOULD DO.

THE WARRANTY FROM THE AA IS EXCELLENT I WOULD RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE, THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE AND TALK VERY NICE ON THE PHONE, I WOULD,NT GO ANYWHERE ELSE.

GO TO THE AA WEB SITE AND CHECK IT OUT, OR GIVE THEM A CALL.

22/11/2012 20:53
l know it's 2 years outside 1995' the car l presently drive is a Vauxhall Cavalier 1.7td diesel, with the lzusu engine,does 60+ to the gallon, done 127000 miles and runs like a watch. Apart from a fanbelt, starter, and alternator, it is a very reliable workhorse. l would not part with it.
22/11/2012 17:16
My Merc is G reg still runs no rust.  I do not believe the list never heard of the publisher.
23/11/2012 14:03
UNLESS YOU COUNT THE INEXCUSABLE FACTORY RECALLS!!!.
26/11/2012 11:08
MY. NISSAN 100NX AS NEVER ME DOWN AND ITS A H REG   I BOUGHT IT FROM NEW GREAT CAR .AND I LOVE IT.