01/06/2012 10:11 | By JD van Zyl
The safest small cars on sale

The best small cars for safety

The best small cars for safety (© Kia)

The mind boggles at just how much car safety has evolved over the last ten years, and how many technologies previously found only on high-end luxury models are now available as standard on even entry-level superminis. With that in mind we set out to establish which small car makes the most of this transfer of technological kit to keep its occupants safe.

To help us select the safest small cars we turned to Euro NCAP, the independent body that assesses the safety of new cars, and relied on their more rigorous assessment, introduced in 2009. You'll be pleased to know that every model featured here received its highest rating of five stars.

How did we decide where each of the Top 10 five-star contenders were placed on the list? Using Euro NCAP data we calculated an average score for each, using all four areas assessed: adult protection, child protection, pedestrian protection and safety assist. The winner is more than a little left field.

05/06/2012 16:11

What wrong with the Ford Fiesta? We were asured that it was a safe vehicle!

06/06/2012 08:46
All comes down to what you like and what you can afford does it not ??/
05/06/2012 10:34
The Peugeot looks exactly like the 206 and 207 but with random gauges out of the bonnet and down the side to make it look different. Overly shaped bodywork is like green bathroom suites, briefly fashionable, but it won't look good in years to come. The shape of the Porsche hasn't changed for decades and there is a reason for that, the human eye prefers curves. Whenever edges get introduced, the design doesn't age well, for example, compare the E Type jag to the Lotus Esprit in the Spy Who Loved Me, the Lotus Esprit looks aged now but not in a good way, the E Type jag still looks beautiful.
06/06/2012 13:41

Just Brought a Chevrolet Aveo..... Really great car which I would recommend very highly as would i the Service I received from my local Chevrolet Dealer in Southampton Picadors..

So if your looking for a small car with great specification I would highy recommend the Aveo.

05/06/2012 13:09

Bought an 2012 Suzuki Swift..great car..v pleased with it..had an sx4 before and was a bit concerned about downsizing..but was a good move..

06/06/2012 12:09
saw ad for Citago last night, looks a fun motor
06/06/2012 11:50
I bought Chevrolet  Matiz 18 months ago, small but roomy, very nippy, pleased with performance, would definitely buy another Chevrolet.
07/06/2012 23:39
I'm not surprised that all of a sudden an American car tops safety over all others on an American Website. Well done Chevolet, but I certainly won't be buying one though.
07/06/2012 22:58
I HAVE JUST BOUGHT MY 5TH KIA MAGENTIS AND ITS TOP OF THE RANGE MOTORING FOR WORKING MANS MONEY I CANNOT FAULT THE MAGENTIS
05/06/2012 18:51
The previous model had nine airbags!
05/06/2012 18:32
i just hope the suspension is improved on the Kia Rapid  I bought one 2 years ago and was dissapointed with it.
07/06/2012 22:37
i leased a new 10 reg ceed sw grdi auto from furrows shrewsbury ,electrical nightmare ,warning lights on only 34 mpg even useing kia tuneing box finish on spec 3 high but avoid auto box unless you have shares in bp ,ALSO AVOID FURROWS SHREWSBURY KIA AWFULLY RUDE UNHELPFULL AND IGNORANT OK BE WARNED AWAIT NEW CEED
08/06/2012 10:25
What do you mean by THE SAFEST CAR?????????????????? Frontal crash/side swipe/ roll over etc.Shurly its how the car is driven?
29/06/2012 18:26

Going through the windscreen, should be part of the " Driving Test ", it certainly slow me down.

15/06/2012 08:14

My daughter past her test and bought a 2yr old Kia Picanto, with 5000miles on the clock, after six weeks of trying to pull away without stalling it, myself and four others tried with no better success, I phoned the Kia dealer and they wern't interested.

The seat fixings were rusting where the paint was pealing off, what more can I say the worst car I've ever driven in over 50yrs.

My daughter hasn't driven a car sInce, thank you Kia.

Don't talk to me about safe little cars, there's no such thing. Her dad.

06/06/2012 21:51
Lets park 'em all on a train level crossing and see what happens when Thomas the Tank Engine comes along =]
06/06/2012 22:25

my comment was

"all are rubbish cars"

3 people disagreed with me??? - so 3 people think these are good cars? do they know anything about cars at all????? I DOUBT IT VERY MUCH!

05/06/2012 19:18

It all comes down to one thing...are you tired of the rich getting all the bailouts and us working men getting nothing? Take a look at what I found and see why the rich are trying to hide this for themselves. G00GLE the term ' FAST STOCK BUDGET ' and click the first site. Go right to the 'PENNY STOCK' page to see what the rich don't want you to know. It is time your family lives the good life and this will help. THIS IS AMAZING!!! THIS IS A MUSSSST SEEE!!!